Nothing says Valentine’s Day like chocolate…and dessert! Fitness and life are all about balance and it’s totally okay to indulge once in a while. I mean, a life without chocolate or cookies is a life I do not want to think about. Plus, there’s just something about sharing something sweet with someone you love (friend, partner, family member – anyone really!) This recipe is perfectly indulgent and a little healthier than your average cookie.
Want a sweet treat that has heart-healthy ingredients AND tastes amazing? Whether you are gluten-free or not, these cookies will make the perfect Valentine’s treat for you and your family, partner or just you to enjoy!
Chocolate ChUNK Cherry Cookies
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (can sub for whole-grain flour)
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum (omit if using regular whole-grain flour)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 4 oz low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup of chocolate chunk
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Optional: add 1/2 cup shredded coconut or almonds for extra flavor!
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl combine flour, Xanthan gum, oats, baking soda, salt and set aside.
- In a larger bowl combine butter, cream cheese, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Then mix in the egg.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and dried cherries.
- Place 1 inch balls of dough onto the cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Made these cookies for a party? Bachelor night or just to enjoy? Tag us @vasafitness. We would love to see you enjoying our recipes!