Healthy and Delicious Sweet Potato Casserole
Thanksgiving side dishes just hit differently. Green beans, rolls, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and one of my favorites – sweet potato casserole. There’s something about it that always makes me think of home.
Thanksgiving is a great time of year to remember balance. We can enjoy great comfort foods and maybe a football game too while spending time with family and friends. Balance is necessary for a healthy lifestyle.
Since life and holidays are all about balance – this recipe takes the sweet taste of home and adds a healthy twist! Sweet potatoes are such a fun and versatile food. And bonus – sweet potatoes are chock-full of nutrients. You can mash them, bake them, or fry them – and they are all so good.
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes (about 3 large)
- ⅓ cup milk of choice
- ¼ cup coconut sugar or monk fruit sweetener
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 egg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large apple (thinly sliced)
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp honey or agave
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Use a fork to prick some holes all around the sweet potatoes and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour to 1 ½ hours or until extremely soft.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees.
- After the potatoes have cooled, remove the peel and place them in a bowl. Using a hand mixer or potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Mix in milk, sugar, oil, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until combined.
- Add sweet potato mixture evenly into the baking dish and set aside.
- Thinly chop the large apple and cover the sweet potato mix.
- Combine pecans, oat flour, cinnamon, honey, and oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle mixture on top of the apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and enjoy!
Try this recipe out for the holidays and let us know how you like it! Tag us on social for a chance to be featured.